The Amateur

https://sirbacon.org/the_amateur.html

I'm not sure if we've posted this before, but what a fun clip. 🙂

The Amateur a dramatic film that came out in 1982 starring Christopher Plummer, John Savage, Marthe Keller, Arthur Hill, and directed by Charles Jarrott has several scenes in which Francis Bacon and Shakespeare are mentioned. The plot centers around the girlfriend of a CIA computer expert who is murdered. Her boyfriend (Savage's character) decides to doggedly hunt down her killer. In the beginning of his search the Savage character meets with CIA brass to explain how he plans to use Big Bertha, the CIA computer, to run down a facsimile of a 1586 letter from Mary Queen of Scots that portends that she is planning to murder Elizabeth 1st. Savage tells the CIA boss that he is "looking for numerical sequences, acrostics, Elizabethan substitution systems and Bacon's biliteral cyphers." Then there is a scene in which Savage attends a lecture on Shakespeare and Bacon cyphers by a university professor played by Christopher Plummer. Later the two characters meet up on a train ride sharing the same compartment. Let's pick up the conversation:

Savage - I went to your lecture at the University the other day, at least part of it.
Plummer - Ah, You are interested in the subject of Bacon versus Shakespeare?
Savage - I am interested in cyphers.
Plummer - You are a colleague? A visiting professor perhaps? My card, please, (reaches into his pocket) Lakosh, Antonine Lakosh.
Savage - I've heard of you.
Plummer - Although the Bacon Society is my avocation, my occupation is also detection, deciphering of clues, uncovering of the impostor!
Savage - Search for truth.
Plummer -Oh yes, How does it go? "For truth will come to light, murder cannot....
Savage - ...Be hid long. (Pause) William Shakespeare?
Plummer - (slowly says) Francis Bacon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

T A A A A A A A A A A A T
157     www.Light-of-Truth.com     287
<-- 1 8 8 1 1
O 1 1 8 8 1 -->

11 hours ago, Light-of-Truth said:

https://sirbacon.org/the_amateur.html

I'm not sure if we've posted this before, but what a fun clip. 🙂

The Amateur a dramatic film that came out in 1982 starring Christopher Plummer, John Savage, Marthe Keller, Arthur Hill, and directed by Charles Jarrott has several scenes in which Francis Bacon and Shakespeare are mentioned. The plot centers around the girlfriend of a CIA computer expert who is murdered. Her boyfriend (Savage's character) decides to doggedly hunt down her killer. In the beginning of his search the Savage character meets with CIA brass to explain how he plans to use Big Bertha, the CIA computer, to run down a facsimile of a 1586 letter from Mary Queen of Scots that portends that she is planning to murder Elizabeth 1st. Savage tells the CIA boss that he is "looking for numerical sequences, acrostics, Elizabethan substitution systems and Bacon's biliteral cyphers." Then there is a scene in which Savage attends a lecture on Shakespeare and Bacon cyphers by a university professor played by Christopher Plummer. Later the two characters meet up on a train ride sharing the same compartment. Let's pick up the conversation:

Savage - I went to your lecture at the University the other day, at least part of it.
Plummer - Ah, You are interested in the subject of Bacon versus Shakespeare?
Savage - I am interested in cyphers.
Plummer - You are a colleague? A visiting professor perhaps? My card, please, (reaches into his pocket) Lakosh, Antonine Lakosh.
Savage - I've heard of you.
Plummer - Although the Bacon Society is my avocation, my occupation is also detection, deciphering of clues, uncovering of the impostor!
Savage - Search for truth.
Plummer -Oh yes, How does it go? "For truth will come to light, murder cannot....
Savage - ...Be hid long. (Pause) William Shakespeare?
Plummer - (slowly says) Francis Bacon.

Thanks for posting this scene. Interesting dialogue. Makes me want to watch the film.

• Like 3

Looks a good film but can't see any way of watching it at the moment. Also it is being made into a re-release for next year:

The Amateur (2025 film)

The Amateur is an upcoming American espionage thriller film directed by James Hawes and written by Gary Spinelli, based on the 1981 novel of the same name by Robert Littell, which was previously adapted into a film that year. Produced by Dan Wilson and Hutch Parker for 20th Century Studios, it stars Rami Malek, Rachel Brosnahan, Caitríona Balfe, Adrian Martinez, Laurence Fishburne, Holt McCallany and Julianne Nicholson.

The film is scheduled to be released in the United States on April 11, 2025.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

5 hours ago, A Phoenix said:

Looks a good film but can't see any way of watching it at the moment. Also it is being made into a re-release for next year:

The Amateur (2025 film)

The Amateur is an upcoming American espionage thriller film directed by James Hawes and written by Gary Spinelli, based on the 1981 novel of the same name by Robert Littell, which was previously adapted into a film that year. Produced by Dan Wilson and Hutch Parker for 20th Century Studios, it stars Rami Malek, Rachel Brosnahan, Caitríona Balfe, Adrian Martinez, Laurence Fishburne, Holt McCallany and Julianne Nicholson.

The film is scheduled to be released in the United States on April 11, 2025.

I hope they keep this scene in tact! 🙂

• Like 2

<-- 1 8 8 1 1
O 1 1 8 8 1 -->

5 hours ago, Eric Roberts said:

Thanks for posting this scene. Interesting dialogue. Makes me want to watch the film.

Lawrence and I were on a SirBacon.org phone conversation last night and the idea came up that a Global International Spy network might solve the Authorship debate while Stratfordians cling onto their last hopes. Lawrence reminded me of this clip we put up some years ago. He has an amazing memory I admire! When looked at it i felt I had to post it. 🙂

My wife and I did watch the movie on a streaming service and enjoyed it, but I don’t remember much… LOL

i wonder if Friedman or Riverbank came up!

• Like 2

<-- 1 8 8 1 1
O 1 1 8 8 1 -->

10 hours ago, A Phoenix said:

Also it is being made into a re-release for next year:

So a spy movie where the first one had this beautiful Baconian scene is being redone right now.

Is it a coincidence that A. Phoenix's and friendsofidb's Riverbank revelations came out in the recent past years? 😉

Who is doing it? And where? (I haven't looked yet...)

EDIT:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Amateur_(2025_film)

Production

Development on a new adaptation of the Robert Littell novel was first announced in November 2006, with Hugh Jackman attached to star, and Evan Katz writing the screenplay.[6] In February 2023, Hutch Parker and Dan Wilson were announced to be producing the project for 20th Century Studios with James Hawes attached as director and Rami Malek in the lead role.[2] Malek was also listed as an executive producer on the project.[7] In May, Rachel Brosnahan, Caitriona Balfe, Adrian Martinez, Laurence Fishburne, Holt McCallany and Julianne Nicholson were added to the cast.[4][3][5]

Principal photography began in London in June 2023. Filming locations are scheduled for around the south-east of England, as well as France and Turkey.[8] Filming was suspended in July due to the 2023 SAG-AFTRA strike.[9] Filming resumed by December 2023.[10][11]

Release

The film is scheduled to be released on April 11, 2025,[12] after having previously scheduled for release on November 8, 2024.[13]

Does anybody else notice the "November 8" date as the original release date? 😉

Wow! This movie will be a hit! How do we get in????

image.png.88217f9c61d194692fcae9984ed99434.png

• Wow! 2

<-- 1 8 8 1 1
O 1 1 8 8 1 -->