Dr Orville Ward Owen

*I’m changing the title of this thread I started. It was originally Oak Island which was (or then became) misleading as it’s really just about Dr Owen*

Someone tagged me in to an old Oak Island  forum, and on there I found this extraordinary - and obviously ridiculous - article, so thought I’d share it. I’ve never heard of this story. You have to open the link and not just look at the part-image.

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/WC19110607.2.45
IMG_1981.jpeg.4ffb547fcfecd38c01ab7947bae8997f.jpeg

From memory, it was Dr Owen whose work got Fabyan in Illinois interested in the SAQ (is that right, AP?) and thus began the whole Riverbank story with the Friedman’s drafted in. 

Anyway, whether it was Owen or not who got Fabyan interested, Owen seems to have been “off with the fairies” to me - but it’s for each to make up their own mind. Maybe something in this article will lead to some other avenue of enquiry.

Alongside this,  I recently found a couple of references to Ben Jonson and Shakespeare’s relationship in Brief Lives, vol 1 and 2 by John Aubrey. It’s very intriguing as in it Christopher Beeston https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Beeston said Shakespeare was a butcher’s son who then went to London to be an actor. Now it could be that John Shakespear (Aubrey, 1626-1697, spells the name without the e), slaughtered animals for their hides for his glove-making business, but Stratfordians calling Will Shakespeare the son of a glove-maker, and someone who helped in his central Stratford-upon-Avon workshop, seems a little sanitised/different to being the son of a butcher. This has probably been widely discussed somewhere (?) over the decades, but I had never heard of this ‘butcher’ story either. 

Edited by Kate
Tidy up
  • Wow! 1

"For nothing is born without unity or without the point." amazon.com/dp/B0CLDKDPY8

5 hours ago, Kate said:

Do we have a thread on Oak Island anywhere? I looked but can only find individual comments in different places.

I don't remember a thread titled "Oak Island".

Over the past months I am more curious than before. Not the TV hype, but that Nova Scotia has some history that makes it interesting just because of its history.

It is a can o' worms though. 😉

• Thanks 2

T A A A A A A A A A A A T
157     www.Light-of-Truth.com     287
<-- 1 8 8 1 1
O 1 1 8 8 1 -->

Posted (edited)

I went looking after I wrote that post and found this interesting article. Turns out Gallup was Owen’s protege.  http://www.mythicdetroit.org/index.php?n=Main.DrOrvilleWardOwen

Open link to see full article. There’s an interesting titbit about a missing 6th book in his Cipher story and re the Riverbank levitation machine.

IMG_1995.jpeg.f3e79ee7883bcb3022a102276adc6683.jpeg

Edited by Kate
  • Thanks 2
  • Wow! 1

"For nothing is born without unity or without the point." amazon.com/dp/B0CLDKDPY8

Posted (edited)

http://www.mythicdetroit.org/uploads/Main/DetroitJournal4-18-1891.jpg
🤦🏻‍♀️

IMG_1996.jpeg.310022ca1d482cc461c882770b88e8d9.jpeg

The whole page wouldn’t fit in a screenshot. 

I wonder what’s going on here as if he’s not credible, what does that say about Elizabeth Gallup if she was his protege?  Why would Fabyan and the Friedman’s have followed through? 

Edited by Kate
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Kate said:

I wonder what’s going on here as if he’s not credible, what does that say about Elizabeth Gallup if she was his protege?  Why would Fabyan and the Friedman’s have followed through? 

I've been twisted up in knots about Elizabeth Gallup and Orville Owen and that entire time period which is so important to we current Baconians.

Question: Was all that wild gobble-Dee-gook that Orville Owen came up with including hundreds of pages of "Bacon's words" a sly decoy to keep the profane out? And I am still yet to Pierce that Veil?

I pulled out my 1888 Donnelly "The Great Cryptogram" book since it keeps popping up with Dr. Owen. Compared with Dr. Owen's work it is like night and day. Granted, I have not read the over 1,000 pages of Donnelly's work, but when I randomly open up a page and I read something I tend to want to note it down somewhere to further research. When I randomly open a page of Dr. Owen's work I feel uncomfortable and want to not think about it because it often sounds so un-Bacon.

I'm still wrestling knowing I may be missing the Key.

image.png.3594094b26d36e4781bfc995971473b9.png

• Like 2

<-- 1 8 8 1 1
O 1 1 8 8 1 -->

Posted (edited)
On 4/8/2024 at 11:41 PM, Light-of-Truth said:

I've been twisted up in knots about Elizabeth Gallup and Orville Owen and that entire time period which is so important to we current Baconians.

I am so pleased to hear you say that. I think it’s important to be able to sort the wheat from the chaff, and also when new information emerges, as it will with increasing digitisation and AI, it’s a mark of high intelligence to be able to say, okay a belief I held is clearly wrong or needs rethinking.  

I guess that there is always a mix of truth and fantasy/fabrication in many of these older books as they simply didn’t have the ability to cross-check their information or even be able to gather much in the 1800s - it was bad enough in the 1980’s and early 90s when trips to central libraries or scrolling through microfiche was required to check/research even the tiniest detail. 

I’m currently still researching Elias Ashmole and there’s no doubt in my mind that the First Folio was a Rosicruician/Masonic group effort with Bacon and Jonson at the helm, but Owen’s theories I’d (personally) discount many of them. Maybe Col Fabyan got bitten by the SAQ bug via Elizabeth Gallup, but we don’t know how much of her thoughts and beliefs he truly swallowed. Maybe she was just a catalyst that convinced him to hire the Friedman’s to try and get at the truth.  

As for Donnelly, I have no idea.  All we can do is keep sifting and trying to piece the jigsaw together, keeping critical thinking skills at the forefront of the search.

Edited by Kate
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Kate said:

I am so pleased to hear you say that. I think it’s important to be able to sort the wheat from the chaff, and also when new information emerges, as it will with increasing digitisation ad AI, it’s a mark of high intelligence to be able to say, okay a belief I held is clearly wrong or needs rethinking.

I have been rethinking Dr. Orville Ward Owen quite a bit lately. All these years I have never read much, if anything of his work. His name has pretty much always been mentioned in word and print. Seems like his name usually comes with some baggage that I never cared to look into. But he was one of our pioneers. Right?

I'm thankful to have read some of what Dr. Owen claims to be Bacon's words lately. I can't imagine anybody reading every page though.

I actually like the way Bacon writes. I've become comfortable with his style and I love it. You know, very long sentences that flow rarely needing a period as long as comas are on hand. I catch myself writing like Bacon in business emails and have to edit back. LOL

Shakespeare is familiar to many of us in the cipher treasure hunt path. After some time, one becomes tuned with the way Bacon/Shakespeare wrote. What is in the shadows can be seen by a keen eye.

Reading the good Dr's version of Bacon's message to us I became a little upset. Not about the content or the suggestions, but the clumsy low quality written story that we are supposed to believe was Bacon's exact words.

And yet, it is so obvious that Orville came into the picture with some secrets passed down from somewhere. Was he allowed to spill a few beans if he could write a crazy cipher story that the established world would destroy?

I'm still wrestling with ideas. Dr. Owen and the Friedmans blowing smoke while tossing out a few nuggets?

We are dealing with secrets. 🙂

• Like 3

<-- 1 8 8 1 1
O 1 1 8 8 1 -->

• Kate changed the title to Dr Orville Ward Owen

I was catching up on some other threads and noticed that you mentioned Dr Owen on Sunday (in one of the threads in the ciphers section).  I hadn’t seen that when I posted this topic. He’s obviously often referred to in passing on this forum, but the coincidence of me stumbling across these old newspaper clippings (while looking for something unrelated) when, within the previous 24 hrs you had been wondering what to make of him, and if you could trust his work, is fairly remarkable/noteworthy.  I also see his books are up on the Gorhambury site.  I wonder why he’s coming to the forefront of our consciousness now.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Now things are getting really outlandish in terms of cascading synchronicities. I just completely randomly (within minutes of posting above) started reading an old thread, only to alight on this below! So now we know the answer to Eric’s query from 2023. The ‘stabbing story’ was from 1936 and must have arisen from info that originated with (imo, the deluded) Dr Owen who had died about 12 years before.

Edited by Kate
  • Wow! 1