The Sir Nicholas Bacon Collection: Sources on English Society, 1250-1700

4 hours ago, A Phoenix said:

FRANCIS BACON AND HIS ANONYMOUS AUTHORSHIP OF THE ARTE OF ENGLISH POETRIE AND HIS SHAKESPEARE POEMS AND PLAYS

It should now be clear to all and sundry that when the true authorship of The Arte of English Poesie is known (a work written around 1585 or thereabouts when William Shakspere had not even left Stratford) with its extensive correspondences throughout the whole Shakespeare canon it gives rise to a self-evident and seemingly intractable problem. Some of the early Shakespeare plays which find correspondence in The Arte of English Poesie were written before its publication in 1589 propounding that Bacon author of the greatest treatise on poetry and the greatest poet Shakespeare were one and the very same. This was not, of course, raised and confronted by William Lowes Rushton in Shakespeare AndThe Arte Of English Poesie’, well at least not in his open plain text, however the work was carefully formatted to ensure it was printed across 167 pages: 167 is a double cipher for Francis (67)/Francis Bacon (100) conveying the secret message that Francis Bacon is the author of The Arte of English Poesie and the Shakespeare poems and plays.1      

1. William Lowes Rushton, Shakespeare AndThe Arte Of English Poesie’ (Liverpool: Henry Young & Sons, 1908), p. 167.

FBS Visit to Gray's Inn 

statueofFrancisBacononSouthSquare.jpeg.9208c432ae4ee6fa2d07f577b02da348.jpeg

Wish I was there

• Like 5

9 hours ago, A Phoenix said:

FRANCIS BACON AND HIS ANONYMOUS AUTHORSHIP OF THE ARTE OF ENGLISH POETRIE AND HIS SHAKESPEARE POEMS AND PLAYS

A Phoenix, can you please provide the link where we might read this paper of yours (thank you).

I just finished reading the first 80 pages of Rev. Walter Begley's vol 1  of his Nova Resuscitatio. He is such a good, clear, knowledgeable writer. He does set out amazing, persuading evidence, without arguing it is conclusive, for he anticipates there will be nay-sayers.

I believe it was something else I read once though, something shorter like you might find in Baconiana, that set out the proof very simply and plainly how the trail led from Puttenham to Bacon, that convinced me---only I'm not sure now what it was. Maybe it was in your article, A Phoenix.

When I search the index of Baconiana for "Puttenham" or "The Art of English Poesie," nothing comes up, which strikes me as odd. You can Google-search "Puttenham Art of English Poesie was Bacon" and an interesting selection of articles come up.  There are just too many tangents! Somehow a person needs to stay on one course for awhile to ever finish anything.

• Like 3

Hi Christie,

I have taken the above posts from my book The Fraudulent Friedmans: The Bacon Ciphers in the Shakespeare Works (2022), pp. 262-67 from the section on Acrostics and Anagrams. 

There is no entry for Puttenham in A. M. Challinor, An Index to Baconiana (The Francis Bacon Society, 2001). The are however four entries under The Arte of English Poesie (p. 80) for Baconiana 10 April 1905, pp. 95-103; Baconiana, 57 January 1917, pp. 48-55; Baconiana, 77 August 1930, pp. 200-1; Baconiana, 106 January 1943, pp. 38-41 (and correspodence).

https://www.academia.edu/81465877/The_Fraudulent_Friedmans_The_Bacon_Ciphers_in_the_Shakespeare_Works

Hope that helps.

Phoenix.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, A Phoenix said:
  •  

In Bacons Nova Resuscitatio or the Unveiling of his Concealed Works and Travels Rev. Walter Begley devoted eighty pages to revealing and confirming his authorship of The Arte of English Poesie.1 The relatively little known and even less read work has been systematically ignored, overlooked and suppressed by orthodox Shakespeare scholars and historians of Elizabethan poetry and literature, as well as the Fraudulent Friedmans, for reasons that will become only all too apparent.2 Begley immediately examined and dismantled the transparent charade of identifying both Richard and George Puttenham with its authorship before presenting overwhelming external and internal evidence that it was anonymously written by Bacon.

1. Walter Begley, Bacons Nova Resuscitatio Or the Unveiling of his Concealed Works and Travels (London: Gay and Brid, 1905), I, pp. 1-80. See also William Booth, Some Acrostic Signatures Of Francis Bacon (London: Archibald Constable & Co., Limited, 1909), pp. 94-112, 120-23.

2. The Friedmans mention the name Puttenham once throughout their work see William F. Friedman and Elizebeth S. Friedman, The Shakespearean Ciphers Examined An Analysis Of Cryptographic Systems Used As Evidence That Some Other Author Than William Shakespeare Wrote The Plays Commonly Attributed To Him (Cambridge University Press, 1958), p. 177 ‘A profusion of Baconian pseudonyms emerge, including, Puttenham, Green, Peele, Spenser and Marlowe …’ and see also p. 132 ‘For good measure he added Webster’s Arte of Poesie to the list (the work is enormously popular among Baconians).’

Hi A Phoenix,

Thank you one more time for the reminder !🙏

On passing, I noticed something in your post that I had missed in your academic paper, and I am not sure if we already talked about it by the past.

"p. 177 ‘A profusion of Baconian pseudonyms emerge, including, Puttenham, Green, Peele, Spenser and Marlowe …’ "

This is interesting that The Friedmans mention "A profusion of Baconian pseudonyms" right on page 177 that is WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE simple cipher.

• Like 2

image.png.b8c74f56d5551c745119c268cf9d3db8.png

4 hours ago, A Phoenix said:

four entries under The Arte of English Poesie (p. 80) for Baconiana 10 April 1905, pp. 95-103; Baconiana, 57 January 1917, pp. 48-55; Baconiana, 77 August 1930, pp. 200-1; Baconiana, 106 January 1943, pp. 38-41 (and correspondence).

Well, I may be wrong, but I don't think any of those are the article I'm looking for, that I remember reading once. I will keep looking. Thank you so much, A Phoenix, for taking the time to find those for me in the Baconiana index. The first article in the list you gave me was by Parker Woodward. It was good. The next two were by Alicia Leith, one long piece and a shorter, more summarizing piece later on--both good. The last one was by R. L. Eagle. He was skeptical that Puttenham was Bacon, but I don't believe he spelled out exactly why he thought Begley was wrong. He thought the author behind the pseudonym Puttenham was someone known to Anthony and Francis, though. This surprised me. I thought Begley gave good reasons why he thought Bacon was the author. Enough for now, however.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1