Was it?

Sonnet 86 is one of three special sonnets. The reason is that if its number is added to its 'mirror image' the result is 154:

86 + 68 = 154

77 + 77 = 154

and the same applies to the third example.

That said, I was reading Sonnet 86 when I realized that it begins with these five letters:  WAS IT and the very same five-letter phrase is repeated at the start of line five.

Was it a coincidence that line one starts with five letters and are repeated in line five?

Is there another example of a Sonnet repeating the first two words of a line?

Could it be that we are to consider WAS IT as IT WAS? 

I tried it with numbers: WAS IT : 21 + 1 + 18    +    9 + 19 = 68.

Would you believe it? IT WAS bears the mirror image number of the sonnet 86.

But hold on there: WAS IT makes W IS AT which, in number form becomes W is 1 +19 or W is 20, and the first 5 letters of line 5, sonnet 20 say AN EYE, which, in numbers becomes 1 + 13  and 5 + 23 + 5 or, translating back to letters:  DEE and BACON.

I find such obscure things of the greatest interest.

Back at sonnet 86: I find that it bears the same number as VERULAM.

A Roman name. And it's 'mirror image' 68 matches A SECRET.

Actually, if A = 1 and Roman I = 1 then why not  say A SECRET = I FRANCIS, for the numbers are the same.

This would mean the number of this sonnet 86, taking into account the number of IT WAS (or WAS IT)  hides I FRANCIS VERULAM.

Or perhaps even    IT WAS I FRANCIS VERULAM.

Notice that I don't say what the cipher type is meant to be: simple, so-called "kay", etc, because I don't think such where used by Bacon or Dee, or anyone. Oh I know Bacon mentions "Kay" and others, but there's no evidence whatsoever to show that he ever used them. I cannot see the purpose of making life even more difficult than it is. I use (and have always used) the 24 letter alphabet, and keep strictly to the system understood by John Dee: each letter represents a number from 1 to 24. Dee is the only one who shows examples of the alphabet in terms of number and symbol-structure. He's the only one who mentions "Gemetria".

I do have a suspicion that the end game of all this numerical jiggery-pokery was to finalize the alphabet we now know and love: the 26 letters representing Francis Bacon for as long as the English-Latin speaking world have eyes to read.

• Like 1

The man in the moone was not a buffoon