Bacon with a red beard?

Lawrence Gerald

14 minutes ago, Allisnum2er said:

Tudor Son, Enough Done 😊

I can't look at him and NOT see his Mother Elizabeth! LOL

In the image above, not only are the eyes are looking (and focused) at different points, the reflections of Light are from different sources.

One eye is on his Mother, one is on us who figure it all out centuries later.

🙂

image.png.20cb41b53e60c030df723e92a5e9e3fb.png

• Like 4

T A A A A A A A A A A A T
157     www.Light-of-Truth.com     287
<-- 1 8 8 1 1
O 1 1 8 8 1 -->

30 minutes ago, Light-of-Truth said:

I can't look at him and NOT see his Mother Elizabeth! LOL

In the image above, not only are the eyes are looking (and focused) at different points, the reflections of Light are from different sources.

One eye is on his Mother, one is on us who figure it all out centuries later.

🙂

image.png.20cb41b53e60c030df723e92a5e9e3fb.png

In fact, few years ago I wondered if the EYE could be part of the secret.

In my view, Bacon seems to have a slight EXOTROPIA of the right eye.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exotropia

Here is his brother Robert Devereux ...

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Marcus_Gheeraerts_the_younger_(1561-1562-1635-1636)_(after)_-_Robert_Devereux_(1566–1601),_2nd_Earl_of_Essex_-_637650_-_National_Trust.jpg

File:Marcus Gheeraerts the younger (1561-1562-1635-1636) (after) - Robert Devereux (1566–1601), 2nd Earl of Essex - 637650 - National Trust.jpg

National Trust, Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons

And here are 3/4 right portraits of Queen Elizabeth :

https://storiainrete.com/mysterious-snake-appears-on-old-painting-of-queen-elizabeth-i/

https://artcollection.culture.gov.uk/artwork/1388/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelican_Portrait

• Like 3
  • Wow! 1

image.png.b8c74f56d5551c745119c268cf9d3db8.png

Can't help it tonight... 🙂

https://internetshakespeare.uvic.ca/Library/facsimile/bookplay/SLNSW_F1/lll/index.html

image.png.e8771fe43df253c04f32ff640ac6bf51.png

This is on page 122. Please remember that Sonnet 122 begins on Day 287.

See below, "To know the thing that I am forbid to know:"

image.png.54680d593c993f366bd8bb5eddda5d48.png

• Wow! 1

<-- 1 8 8 1 1
O 1 1 8 8 1 -->

3 hours ago, Allisnum2er said:

Tudor Son, Enough Done 😊

5 hours ago, Lawrence Gerald said:

Tudor Red, Enough Said

Where the Tudor Red-Gold Hair came from?

June 25, 2010 by Melissa Virag

Astonishingly enough, given that only 1 to 2% of the human population has red hair (statistics may have been different in the 16th century), by the time Elizabeth died, England had had a red-headed monarch (either king or queen) for 138 years!

https://sucheternaldelight.wordpress.com/2010/06/25/where-did-the-tudor-red-gold-hair-come-from/

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

4 minutes ago, Eric Roberts said:

Where the Tudor Red-Gold Hair came from?

June 25, 2010 by Melissa Virag

Astonishingly enough, given that only 1 to 2% of the human population has red hair (statistics may have been different in the 16th century), by the time Elizabeth died, England had had a red-headed monarch (either king or queen) for 138 years!

https://sucheternaldelight.wordpress.com/2010/06/25/where-did-the-tudor-red-gold-hair-come-from/

"That Mary was born with red-gold hair is not such a surprise. But it must have been a great relief to black-haired Anne Boleyn that her only child – though a daughter – had the Tudor red-gold hair. And it was indeed noted. When Elizabeth’s paternity was questioned, her appearance cast aside any doubts."

Bacon's beard deserves the same acknowledgement. 😉

I bet all of his hair was more auburn that not.

• Like 3

<-- 1 8 8 1 1
O 1 1 8 8 1 -->

7 hours ago, Light-of-Truth said:

Can't help it tonight... 🙂

https://internetshakespeare.uvic.ca/Library/facsimile/bookplay/SLNSW_F1/lll/index.html

image.png.e8771fe43df253c04f32ff640ac6bf51.png

This is on page 122. Please remember that Sonnet 122 begins on Day 287.

See below, "To know the thing that I am forbid to know:"

image.png.54680d593c993f366bd8bb5eddda5d48.png

Thank you Rob ! 🙏❤️

Here is what I see  ! It could be a coincidence, but it matches the theme of this topic. 😊

image.png.a3a94cd34947553fbb5cc832ba61eb43.png

TIME REVEALS THE HIDDEN TRUTH 😉

File:Truth-time.gif

• Wow! 2

image.png.b8c74f56d5551c745119c268cf9d3db8.png

8 hours ago, Light-of-Truth said:

"That Mary was born with red-gold hair is not such a surprise. But it must have been a great relief to black-haired Anne Boleyn that her only child – though a daughter – had the Tudor red-gold hair. And it was indeed noted. When Elizabeth’s paternity was questioned, her appearance cast aside any doubts."

Bacon's beard deserves the same acknowledgement. 😉

I bet all of his hair was more auburn that not.

So we know that the mother of Francis Bacon and Robert Devereaux had "red-gold" hair. What about their father, the Earl of Leicester?

Here's a short video on a portrait of Robert Dudley which depicts him as having an auburn beard like Francis.

As portrayed by Marcus Gheeraerts the Younger, Robert Devereaux's beard is redder that Bacon's, similar in colour to Queen Elizabeth's hair in most of her portraits.

The first two pictures are copies and not by Gheeraerts. The second pair are by him. All four were painted in the last few years of the 16th century.

ScreenShot2023-11-25at8_43_17pm.png.aff5cc26d0ced06155df946aa1f0167d.png

ScreenShot2023-11-25at8_46_05pm.png.c319050c32ea82497a277ea7dee3b3aa.png

ScreenShot2023-11-25at9_08_33pm.png.f5d5937a4bc4ec514bf35b1a77c4663d.png

William Larkin gives Francis Bacon a distinctly ginger beard in both his 1610 and 1617 portraits.

Make of this what you will...

• Wow! 4

2 hours ago, A Phoenix said:

Rob did a great Peabody post - about 18 months ago now. Red hair discussion😀

https://sirbacon.org/bacon-forum/index.php?/topic/96-special-bacon-shakespeare-title-pages-emblems/page/8/#comment-1067

I can't resist sharing one more image of Robert Devereaux, from the picture that Yann posted. I found a large version on ARTUK: https://artuk.org/discover/artworks/robert-devereux-15661601-2nd-earl-of-essex-171449

Although it's a fairly crude copy of a Gheeraerts, there is something intangible about it. Almost like a Russian icon of an obscureScreenShot2023-11-25at8_51_42pm.png.24f36a913cb5ad9ff878504bed8caa5a.png

saint.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Eric Roberts said:

So we know that the mother of Francis Bacon and Robert Devereaux had "red-gold" hair. What about their father, the Earl of Leicester?

Here's a short video on a portrait of Robert Dudley which depicts him as having an auburn beard like Francis.

As portrayed by Marcus Gheeraerts the Younger, Robert Devereaux's beard is redder that Bacon's, similar in colour to Queen Elizabeth's hair in most of her portraits.

The first two pictures are copies and not by Gheeraerts. The second pair are by him. All four were painted in the last few years of the 16th century.

ScreenShot2023-11-25at8_43_17pm.png.aff5cc26d0ced06155df946aa1f0167d.png

ScreenShot2023-11-25at8_46_05pm.png.c319050c32ea82497a277ea7dee3b3aa.png

ScreenShot2023-11-25at9_08_33pm.png.f5d5937a4bc4ec514bf35b1a77c4663d.png

William Larkin gives Francis Bacon a distinctly ginger beard in both his 1610 and 1617 portraits.

Make of this what you will...

Hi Eric,

Definitely some red/auburn family genes going on! Also, the painting of Dudley in the video is unusual in that he is depicted as having blue/grey eyes. I think if I remember correctly (but you will know better) that in nearly all other portraits Dudley is depicted with brown eyes.  Also unusual is the Hilliard Francis Bacon miniature when he was 18 - this also appears to show FB having blueish eyes but in every other portrait and according to contemporaries he had a 'lively, hazel eye' Not sure what this all means - but interesting nevertheless. Thanks Eric - great video.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, A Phoenix said:

Hi Eric,

Definitely some red/auburn gamily genes going on! Also, the painting of Dudley in the video is unusual in that he is depicted as having blue/grey eyes. I think if I remember correctly (but you will know better) that in nearly all other portraits Dudley is depicted with brown eyes.  Also unusual is the Hilliard Francis Bacon miniature when he was 18 - this also appears to show FB having blueish eyes but in every other portrait and according to contemoraries he had a 'lively, hazel eye' Not sure what this all means - but interesting nevertheless. Thanks Eric - great video.

Thanks A P

You don't miss a thing. I didn't even notice the eyes. As you point out both Hilliard's blue-eyed teenage Bacon and Steven van der Mullen's blue-eyed Dudley are anomalies. I'm inclined to trust Paul Van Somer who painted at least six portraits of Francis - all with hazel-to-dark-brown eyes

Van der Mullen is also thought to have been responsible for the Hampden Portrait of Elizabeth I: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_van_der_Meulen

Speaking of QEI, if anyone is curious about her association with snake symbolism, this might be of interest:

https://omeka.library.american.edu/s/hardwickportrait/page/snakes#:~:text=In the 1600-02 Rainbow,to symbolize wisdom and prudence.ScreenShot2022-02-03at10_45_33pm.png.9f453359883f88bd709ecd3d5dbc8200.png

• Like 2
  • Wow! 2

• 3 months later...
On 11/22/2023 at 7:45 AM, Lawrence Gerald said:

If the Paul Van Somer painting depicts Bacon with a red beard and The Earl of Essex had red hair..........Bingo!

Screen Shot 2023-11-21 at 6.56.27 PM.jpeg

Elizabeth had red hair and it is inherited by Bacon. Both she and Bacon had blue eyes which Hilyard clearly painted and red haired people always have blue or green eyes. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jon bentley said:

Elizabeth had red hair and it is inherited by Bacon. Both she and Bacon had blue eyes which Hilyard clearly painted and red haired people always have blue or green eyes. 

I know what color Bacon's eyes were after repeatedly reaffirming whatever is the latest agreed color. Grey? Right? Or is it auburn? LOL

I know it but never remember. How strange is that? LOL

What color were his eyes??

<-- 1 8 8 1 1
O 1 1 8 8 1 -->

In the vast majority of portraits (see Eric’s collection in the thread above), Bacon’s eyes are depicted as being hazel/brown and he was described by a later biographer as having a ‘lively, hazel eye’. The Hilliard portrait was painted when Bacon was a youth and he and Hilliard were together in Paris as part of diplomat Sir Amias Paulet's entourage. Depicting Bacon's eyes as blue would appear to be something of an anomaly (I don’t know of another example).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, jon bentley said:

Hi Jon

Thanks for your timely mention of the colour of FB's eyes and hair. I know that this subject has been raised here in the past, but as Julie and I are wrapping up the Francis Bacon genealogy project at the moment, his true parentage is very much front of mind. Please forgive me if I disagree with some of your remarks. This is only as I see it... Francis didn't have red hair. It was described and depicted in paintings as being auburn. Neither did he or his parents, Elizabeth and Robert, have blue eyes, despite some of Hilliard's portraits which would seem to indicate that the contrary was true. And according to google, it is not the case that red haired people always have green or blue eyes. 

83 % of redheads have Brown eyes, followed by Brown /green hazel then Green/Brown hazel, then brown/blue hazel then grey , green/blue hazel then blue then Green. 

But forget all that. You raise such an important question. The artist, Nicholas Hilliard, Francis Bacon's travelling companion between 1576-79, clearly painted the young Francis with blue eyes. There is no getting around this fact, even though every other portrait depicts him with brown-coloured eyes. How do we explain this anomaly?

You will recall the dire circumstances under which Francis left England as a novice attaché for France. His life depended on the utmost secrecy concerning his royal ancestry. Could it have been that, as a self-protective measure, Francis instructed Hilliard to change the colour of his eyes to match those of his foster parents, Lord and Lady Bacon? Or, was it simply artistic licence on the part of Hilliard? It is the case that he painted miniatures of Dudley and Elizabeth with strange, almost colourless eyes. It is easy to see how it could be assumed that Francis, Dudley and QEI all had blue eyes from looking at Hilliard's portraits. 

The issue of FB's eye colour and heredity was raised by Jean Overton Fuller. If you haven't come across it yet, you might find Lawrence Gerald's interview with her of some interest.

https://sirbacon.org/fullerinterview.htm

Peter Dawkins had this to say about Francis's truly remarkable baby portrait:

Francis_Bacon_child_portrait_wl.jpeg.bc538a035760f6356181d33c7d1bd87b.jpeg

In this portrait the child, Francis, is pictured holding an apple in his right hand, whilst holding his left hand over his heart. No detail of good Renaissance painting was without an intended symbolic meaning, particularly those pictures commissioned or executed by the learned progenitors of the English Renaissance and Reformation. The apple is an age old symbol of the fruit of knowledge, and in this early portrait of Francis is prophecied Francis' later words and actions, " I have taken all knowledge for my province." This is his field of action, signified by his right hand, but balanced by his left hand on his heart, charitable and useful. This sums up the whole motivation and life of this great soul, and it can even be sensed in his face as portrayed here, with his rich dark brown eyes or hazel eyes, like those of his brother, Essex, his mother, Queen Elizabeth, his father, Earl of Leicester, and his grandmother, Anne Boleyn. (The Bacon family inherited predominantly grey-blue coloured eyes. See Jean Overton Fuller's Sir Francis Bacon, A Biography, for a discussion of this.) https://sirbacon.org/links/childbacon.htm

Here is a portrait of Elizabeth I by Nicholas Hilliard with brown eyes.

ScreenShot2024-03-24at10_15_54pm.png.1679321a250172ddfa79242c7691b590.png

How can an infant's eyes change from brown to blue by the time that child reaches young adulthood?

ScreenShot2024-03-24at10_17_17pm.png.9f5141716f260e8939dfe2ad5f6f2432.png

Something odd is going on here, like we are only seeing the tip of the iceberg. There's more to this than meets the eye. Thank you for bring this mystery to our attention once again.

Edited by Eric Roberts
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for the elucidation on the redheads Eric. I was just thinking about family and remembered that I have 3 cousins from the Irish side who had very red hair (before it went grey) and brown eyes.

As with many things around Francis Bacon there are some very curious aspects to this and interesting to speculate on why Hilliard may not have painted exactly what he saw and for what reasons. As Ben Jonson said about Bacon ‘Thou stand'st as if some mystery thou didst!’

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Eric Roberts said:

Hi Jon

Thanks for your timely mention of the colour of FB's eyes and hair. I know that this subject has been raised here in the past, but as Julie and I are wrapping up the Francis Bacon genealogy project at the moment, his true parentage is very much front of mind. Please forgive me if I disagree with some of your remarks. This is only as I see it... Francis didn't have red hair. It was described and depicted in paintings as being auburn. Neither did he or his parents, Elizabeth and Robert, have blue eyes, despite some of Hilliard's portraits which would seem to indicate that the contrary was true. And according to google, it is not the case that red haired people always have green or blue eyes. 

83 % of redheads have Brown eyes, followed by Brown /green hazel then Green/Brown hazel, then brown/blue hazel then grey , green/blue hazel then blue then Green. 

But forget all that. You raise such an important question. The artist, Nicholas Hilliard, Francis Bacon's travelling companion between 1576-79, clearly painted the young Francis with blue eyes. There is no getting around this fact, even though every other portrait depicts him with brown-coloured eyes. How do we explain this anomaly?

You will recall the dire circumstances under which Francis left England as a novice attaché for France. His life depended on the utmost secrecy concerning his royal ancestry. Could it have been that, as a self-protective measure, Francis instructed Hilliard to change the colour of his eyes to match those of his foster parents, Lord and Lady Bacon? Or, was it simply artistic licence on the part of Hilliard? It is the case that he painted miniatures of Dudley and Elizabeth with strange, almost colourless eyes. It is easy to see how it could be assumed that Francis, Dudley and QEI all had blue eyes from looking at Hilliard's portraits. 

The issue of FB's eye colour and heredity was raised by Jean Overton Fuller. If you haven't come across it yet, you might find Lawrence Gerald's interview with her of some interest.

https://sirbacon.org/fullerinterview.htm

Peter Dawkins had this to say about Francis's truly remarkable baby portrait:

Francis_Bacon_child_portrait_wl.jpeg.bc538a035760f6356181d33c7d1bd87b.jpeg

In this portrait the child, Francis, is pictured holding an apple in his right hand, whilst holding his left hand over his heart. No detail of good Renaissance painting was without an intended symbolic meaning, particularly those pictures commissioned or executed by the learned progenitors of the English Renaissance and Reformation. The apple is an age old symbol of the fruit of knowledge, and in this early portrait of Francis is prophecied Francis' later words and actions, " I have taken all knowledge for my province." This is his field of action, signified by his right hand, but balanced by his left hand on his heart, charitable and useful. This sums up the whole motivation and life of this great soul, and it can even be sensed in his face as portrayed here, with his rich dark brown eyes or hazel eyes, like those of his brother, Essex, his mother, Queen Elizabeth, his father, Earl of Leicester, and his grandmother, Anne Boleyn. (The Bacon family inherited predominantly grey-blue coloured eyes. See Jean Overton Fuller's Sir Francis Bacon, A Biography, for a discussion of this.) https://sirbacon.org/links/childbacon.htm

Here is a portrait of Elizabeth I by Nicholas Hilliard with brown eyes.

ScreenShot2024-03-24at10_15_54pm.png.1679321a250172ddfa79242c7691b590.png

How can an infant's eyes change from brown to blue by the time that child reaches young adulthood?

ScreenShot2024-03-24at10_17_17pm.png.9f5141716f260e8939dfe2ad5f6f2432.png

Something odd is going on here, like we are only seeing the tip of the iceberg. There's more to this than meets the eye. Thank you for bring this mystery to our attention once again.

Good one Eric : "There's more to this than meets the eye." LOL!

The essence of Jean Overton Fuller's research on Bacon's eye color

https://sirbacon.org/downloads/fuller-chapter2.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2