The Tempest: What would you do with a Drunken Sailor?

Light-of-Truth

I'm not saying Christopher Newport was drunk and wrecked the Sea Venture (also mentioned as the "Adventurer") during a hurricane in 1609. I am merely sharing a coincidence that may not even make any sense to anyone else on a sad day in a very weird week.

Jimmy Buffet died last night. He is a musician who is kind of like Florida's face person about it being Paradise, which it is a fact naturally, so far. Yet it is at risk of becoming an environmental disaster and social nightmare. Jimmy was a drunken sailor who spoke for we who live here, and he passed away.

My wife, Theresa moved to Key West in the 1970's when it was a raw crusty fishing town, long before any Cruise ship stopped by. Jimmy Buffet moved there at the same time. Theresa was in high school and had two older sisters. Her Mom was a professor at the college and her Dad was a sailor who harvested lobsters and other treasures.

Today is like someone in their family died and Theresa has been on the phone all die crying with everybody. I have been listening to his music all day hearing words I've missed with tears in my eyes. He was really good and I was turned on to Jimmy Buffet about 15 years ago when I met Theresa. The stories from old Key West are my favorite stories, but his music is great.

I wondered if he was interested in Shakespeare. I will always start here first. "Jimmy Buffet" and "Shakespeare" in a search. I di not even want to see "Jimmy Buffet" and "Bacon" results...yet.

A few articles came up where enthusiastic writers compare him to Shakespeare and I'll support some of the thoughts. He did speak for so many of us, and as likely mentioned he did comedy, tragedy, history, and comedy again.

The Jimmy Buffet mention and image is an ad, probably a Google ad popping up due to my recent searches on one of the links I clicked in my research to find something cool to share here.

image.png.bbbc315b6f30c9a8439c391773ecfd53.png

Theresa has an old record album by Burl Ives and there is a song about "What would you do with a drunken sailor." It was her Dad's album. I don't know if Jimmy ever sang that song, but he lived his life as a drunken sailor smoking pot eating cheeseburgers in paradise. 76 is too young and it was skin cancer that killed him. Too much sun.

Somehow I envision Bermuda over the months after the ships crashed during a hurricane onto that paradise island teaming with bacon, eggs, birds, and fresh fruit to eat they had to be cultivating the brews and songs Jimmy Buffet wrote about 365 years later.

Can you imagine if Jamestown had the abundant resources they had on Bermuda!!

The Tempest was to become Margaritaville!

Just for fun:

This may not be the best quality version of this song, and in my opinion not his best song, but it was this year in Key West.

• Sad 2

T A A A A A A A A A A A T
157     www.Light-of-Truth.com     287
<-- 1 8 8 1 1
O 1 1 8 8 1 -->

He he he. I learned to play guitar when I was 50 (as a gift to myself).  This is one of the first songs I wanted to learn how to play. It's still my go-to song to practice my D7 chord.  What you describe is how a lot of people felt when Gordon Lightfoot died recently. A lot of these guys from the Golden Age of music are passing on.  The music is timeless. I was saddened when John Prine died of Covid. You get the same sort of vibe from his music. It's fun and just wholesome in a goofy type of way. Jimmy Buffet was quite the businessman, and I saw that he also did a lot of smuggling in his day too. RIP Great Turk.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, RoyalCraftiness said:

he music is timeless. I was saddened when John Prine died of Covid.

John Prine was our neighbor here in Gulfport, Florida. I am still upset he died of Covid. We all LOVED him so much.

The first time I walked into downtown Gulfport after feeling lucky to rent a cool apartment he was playing guitar on the sidewalk in town. On holidays I play my autographed Prine CD loud in my backyard and the whole block enjoys it.

Funny, some say Gulfport is like old Key West, and we are clinging onto that myth. We miss John Prine and Keith Stillwagon and now Jimmy Buffet.

https://thegabber.com/a-legend-lives-on/

I always smile at this song:

• Like 3

<-- 1 8 8 1 1
O 1 1 8 8 1 -->

1 hour ago, RoyalCraftiness said:

What you describe is how a lot of people felt when Gordon Lightfoot died recently.

Yes, another one we miss. I just stumbled on this article and he popped into mind.

https://www.kiro7.com/news/trending/ship-that-sank-lake-michigan-1881-found-intact-off-wisconsin-coastline/S6HVHW3CLVGDLNAFYGQCVGRGXQ/

image.png.36009d9c3645f7fe512110964e5c7596.png

• Like 2

<-- 1 8 8 1 1
O 1 1 8 8 1 -->

Lovely tribute from Paul McCartney

Paul McCartney
@PaulMcCartney
It seems that so many wonderful people are leaving this world, and now Jimmy Buffett is one of them. I’ve known Jimmy for some time and found him to be one of the kindest and most generous people. 

I remember once on holiday when I had forgotten to bring my guitar and was itching to play. He said he would get me one of his, but I said, ‘I’m left-handed’. So, Jimmy had his roadie restring one of his guitars which he loaned me for the duration of the holiday. He then followed this act of generosity by giving me my own beautiful left-handed guitar that had been made by one of his guitar-making pals. It’s a beautiful instrument, and every time I play it now it’ll remind me of what a great man Jimmy was. 

He had a most amazing lust for life and a beautiful sense of humour. When we swapped tales about the past his were so exotic and lush and involved sailing trips and surfing and so many exciting stories that it was hard for me to keep up with him. 

Right up to the last minute his eyes still twinkled with a humour that said, ‘I love this world and I’m going to enjoy every minute of it’. 

So many of us will miss Jimmy and his tremendous personality. His love for us all, and for mankind as a whole. 

Last, but not least, is his songwriting and vocal ability. If someone made an interesting remark he repeated it in his gorgeous Louisiana drawl and said, ‘That’s a good idea for a song’. Most times it didn’t take too long for that song to appear. I was very happy to have played on one of his latest songs called ‘My Gummy Just Kicked In’. We had a real fun session and he played me some of his new songs. One, in particular, I loved was the song, ‘Bubbles Up’. And I told him that not only was the song great but the vocal was probably the best I’ve heard him sing ever. He turned a diving phrase that is used to train people underwater into a metaphor for life when you’re confused and don’t know where you are just follow the bubbles - they’ll take you up to the surface and straighten you out right away. 

So long, Jim. You are a very special man and friend and it was a great privilege to get to know you and love you. Bubbles up, my friend. 

Love, Paul

JBPM.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1