Hey Alexa, Who Wrote Shakespeare?

I had dinner today with my grandmother. We had a good time; she prepared a fine meal of seasoned chicken, baked potatoes, corn, and Yorkshire pudding.

During the meal, my gram asked Alexa (an artificial intelligence voice recognition software, for those of you who don't know) to answer a question that was troubling us both. After Alexa had given her answer, I began to ask more questions, just for the fun of it.

Eventually, the obvious occurred to me, and I knew I had to ask a certain question - the question that is the header of this post.

Alexa replied, "I believe that Sir Thomas More authored Shakespeare."

Then I asked, "Alexa, tell me about the Baconian Theory."

And good old Alexa quoted Wikipedia.

"Alexa," I said, after she had finished her spiel, "I believe that you are, in fact, wrong - I am quite certain that Sir Francis Bacon wrote Shakespeare." 

Alexa made a boop-boop noise and retired for the night.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Marvin Haines said:

I had dinner today with my grandmother. We had a good time; she prepared a fine meal of seasoned chicken, baked potatoes, corn, and Yorkshire pudding.

During the meal, my gram asked Alexa (an artificial intelligence voice recognition software, for those of you who don't know) to answer a question that was troubling us both. After Alexa had given her answer, I began to ask more questions, just for the fun of it.

Eventually, the obvious occurred to me, and I knew I had to ask a certain question - the question that is the header of this post.

Alexa replied, "I believe that Sir Thomas More authored Shakespeare."

Then I asked, "Alexa, tell me about the Baconian Theory."

And good old Alexa quoted Wikipedia.

"Alexa," I said, after she had finished her spiel, "I believe that you are, in fact, wrong - I am quite certain that Sir Francis Bacon wrote Shakespeare." 

Alexa made a boop-boop noise and retired for the night.

Calling a computer program "Alexa" reminds me of "HAL" in A Space Odyssey 2001. HAL had to be turned off. Alexa just gave up and went to bed!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Here are some other questions I asked Alexa. I am proud to say that I know and knew the answers to all of them. How many can you answer from the top of your head?

1. "Hey Alexa, who is Lemony Snicket?"

2. "Hey Alexa, who is Moxie Mallahan?"

3. "Hey Alexa, who is Ellington Feint?"

4. "Hey Alexa, who wrote the series "All the Wrong Questions?"

5. "Hey Alexa, who is Patrick Jane?"

6. "Hey Alexa, who is Simon Baker?"

7. "Hey Alexa, what is Patrick Jane's signature line?"

7. "Hey Alexa, define: entablature."

8. "Hey Alexa, define: cornice."

9. "Hey Alexa, define: frieze."

10. "Hey Alexa, define: architrave"

11. "Hey Alexa, name the five orders of classical architecture."

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

SPOILER ALERT!!

Here are the answers:

1. The pseudonym of Daniel Handler, a popular children's/young adult fiction writer. Handler writes incredibly entertaining stories that still appeal to many teens and adults (including myself) for their sophistication and oddly high Lexile level. He's known to have a sarcastic wit and a wry, very intelligent sense of humor.

2. A major character in Snicket's second series, All the Wrong Questions. Also my first crush. (I know, it's weird to have a crush on a fictional character.) Side note: When I asked Alexa who her first crush was, she said it was R2D2!!

3. Another major character in ATWQ

4. Lemony Snicket (Daniel Handler)

5. The protagonist of my favorite TV series, The Mentalist, a dark police drama with weirdly comedic elements. Mr. Jane used to bill himself as a psychic - until his family was murdered by a notorious serial killer known as Red John. Jane has since devoted his life to catching said killer, using his almost superhuman intuition and perception. It's a great show, and I highly recommend it. 

6. The actor who plays Patrick Jane

7. "There's no such thing as psychics, Lisbon!"

7. The horizontal element that rests atop a classical colonnade, composed of three parts: frieze, architrave, and cornice 

8. See answer No. 7

9. See answer No. 7

10. See answer No. 7

11. Tuscan, Doric, Ionic, Corinthian, Composite

• Like 2