Jump to content

Maps of Tudor London - Francis Bacon's Stomping Ground


Eric Roberts

Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, Light-of-Truth said:

I probably missed the description being overwhelmed lately, but who did this engraving??

In my imagination, here is the place where me and the B'Hive, Francis, Ben, Leo, maybe even Willy and others were pounding beeres at the Beere howse discussing a King to be.

image.png.8aef5b85915f7a0493be79f187ff967b.png

I like your imagination Rob ! 😊

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

image.png.b8c74f56d5551c745119c268cf9d3db8.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Allisnum2er said:

I like your imagination Rob ! 😊

 

I imagine that Francis, Ben, and Leo are enjoying our imagination 400 years ago and we are sharing the same time and space we cannot describe how it can be. And of course John Dee who may have figured out how to make it happen. 😉

<--1881-->

 

  • Like 2

T A A A A A A A A A A A T
157     www.Light-of-Truth.com     287
<-- 1 8 8 1 1
O 1 1 8 8 1 -->

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Light-of-Truth said:

How is this even possible without a drone or hot air balloon?

Astral projection? 😉

image.png.ba736b68b114c277f70d7e8f5921fae4.png

Hi Light-of-Truth

I've been looking for a good book on the subject of the history of "illustrated maps" or panoramic aerial perspectives. I read recently that the technique derived from military strategy early on in Medieval times, and by the mid-19th century had evolved into a means of attracting tourists to specific cities. There's a myth that many of these panoramas were literally sketched in hot air balloons. Have you ever been up in one of those things? A more likely method would be to work from detailed survey maps supplemented by a lot of leg work, i.e. walking up and down taking notes on the architecture of all the main buildings in every street. But I would be most interested if anyone can tell me how these aerial perspective panoramas were actually constructed. 

A.C.COOKEPanoramasofSydney.webp.b5f86fcd81123a5ae350127de9291218.webp

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s a really good question. It’s amazing how we don’t think of these things, we just accept.
 

First balloon flight wasn’t until late 1700’s. How did we get all those maps? I’ve got one from the 1300s. They just used the faculty of spatial awareness, I guess

Edited by Kate
  • Like 4

 "For nothing is born without unity or without the point." amazon.com/dp/B0CLDKDPY8

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Eric Roberts said:

Hi Light-of-Truth

I've been looking for a good book on the subject of the history of "illustrated maps" or panoramic aerial perspectives. I read recently that the technique derived from military strategy early on in Medieval times, and by the mid-19th century had evolved into a means of attracting tourists to specific cities. There's a myth that many of these panoramas were literally sketched in hot air balloons. Have you ever been up in one of those things? A more likely method would be to work from detailed survey maps supplemented by a lot of leg work, i.e. walking up and down taking notes on the architecture of all the main buildings in every street. But I would be most interested if anyone can tell me how these aerial perspective panoramas were actually constructed. 

A.C.COOKEPanoramasofSydney.webp.b5f86fcd81123a5ae350127de9291218.webp

Having the experience of sitting on top of mountains or very high places would be visually handy for these amazing artists. 🙂

I wonder of people flew in their dreams back then.

  • Like 2

T A A A A A A A A A A A T
157     www.Light-of-Truth.com     287
<-- 1 8 8 1 1
O 1 1 8 8 1 -->

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Kate said:

It’s a really good question. It’s amazing how we don’t think of these things, we just accept.
 

First balloon flight wasn’t until late 1700’s. How did we get all those maps? I’ve got one from the 1300s. They just used the faculty of spatial awareness, I guess

 

Views and viewmakers of urban America : lithographs of towns and cities in the United States and Canada, notes on the artists and publishers, and a union catalog of their work, 1825-1925

John William Reps, 1984

https://archive.org/details/viewsviewmakerso0000reps/page/n1/mode/2up

ScreenShot2023-09-04at3_57_17pm.png.39d84c16612b4cda184f3310bd5deb3e.png

ScreenShot2023-09-04at3_59_50pm.png.c1dd534e6d2665562843294f154e8a18.png

So that's how it's done. Working with topographical survey maps the features and contours of the landscape are first thrown into 3-dimensional perspective from a chosen viewpoint. The framework of the panorama is then gradually (i.e. painstakingly) filled in based on available photographic documentation and lots and lots of leg work cataloguing the buildings on every street. I'm not sure how the finished black and white drawing was transferred - perhaps partly traced and partly 'ad libbed' straight on to stone. 

Before getting 'back to bacon', the most prolific panorama artist in the USA was Thaddeus Mortimer Fowler (1842-1922). See pages 174-177

https://archive.org/details/viewsviewmakerso0000reps/page/174/mode/2up?view=theater

You can just make out Fowler's preliminary drawing to establish the viewpoint and topography. 

ScreenShot2023-09-04at4_04_57pm.png.a333f1f20452999d76a20af71dd97874.png

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Eric Roberts said:

Before getting 'back to bacon', the most prolific panorama artist in the USA was Thaddeus Mortimer Fowler (1842-1922). See pages 174-177

I'm going to look at Ancestry.com and see if I am related to Thaddeus. Love his sketch of Quannah, Texas which is on Hwy 287.

image.png.34d7e881b758bf48f0ac4bf9ef010c21.png

The town is named after Quannah Parker who is the Founder of the Native American Church.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quanah_Parker

Quanah Parker taught that the sacred peyote medicine was the sacrament given to the Indian peoples and was to be used with water when taking communion in a traditional Native American Church medicine ceremony.

OK, now I'll try to get back to "Bacon." 🙂

 

  • Like 3

T A A A A A A A A A A A T
157     www.Light-of-Truth.com     287
<-- 1 8 8 1 1
O 1 1 8 8 1 -->

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...