Intro/Bio--Christie Waldman (Christina)

Hi, I am so glad to be here, among friends! I first became interested in the Shakespeare authorship question when I was studying history at Southern Illinois University (SIU) in the late seventies. While browsing in the college library, I saw a book which made such an impression on me! I never forgot it. It was Mark Edwin Andrews, Law versus Equity in The Merchant of Venice: A Legalization of Act IV, Scene 1 (Boulder: University of Colorado Press, 1965). Andrews convinced me that, whoever Shakespeare was, he had to have been a lawyer.  Andrews was a law student when he wrote Law versus Equity. He had started out to write a short paper for a summer Shakespeare course, and it grew into a book-length manuscript (which sat in library storage for 30 years before being rediscovered and published). In his paraphrase of The Merchant of Venice, Andrews put Bacon in the place of Bellario, the highly respected old Italian jurist whose letter to the Duke introduced Portia to the Court (p. 6, 7).  Andrews marveled over the Playwright's precise use of legal terms. He said, it seemed as if the seeds planted in the brain of one genius (Bacon) took root in the brain of another genius (Shakespeare) (p. 45). Hmm. Professing to be a Stratfordian (in 1935) (p. 43), Andrews offered no logical explanation for this strange phenomenon. He also observed, though, that twenty years later, in a 1616 court case, Bacon seemed to be living the same role, as advisor to King James, that Portia had played (guided from behind-the-scenes by Bellario) as advisor to the Duke in The Merchant of Venice (see xii, 37-41, 43). How did "Shakespeare" predict Bacon's future real life? Uncanny.

Since then, over the years, I pursued my interest in Bacon/Shakespeare authorship, reading whatever I could find (including Ilya Gillilov's The Shakespeare Game, published by Algora). I had Andrews' book sent to me a few times on inter-library loan, then later found a copy on Amazon. At some point, I found SirBacon.org and felt such a welcome. When I told Lawrence Gerald about Andrews' book, he suggested I write a book review of it for SirBacon. I thought I might do that "some day." Then, I saw Simon Miles's first video on The Merchant of Venice, posted by the Francis Bacon Society, on YouTube.  Wow! There really were other people taking this Bacon/Shakespeare thing seriously! I started researching and writing that "short book review," and in about three years, Francis Bacon's Hidden Hand in Shakespeare's The Merchant of Venice: A Study of Law, Rhetoric, and Authorship (New York: Algora Publishing, 2018) was published.

I graduated from SIU with degrees in history and law. In the summer of 1983, after the first year of law school, I wrote a children's fantasy novel which will (hopefully) be published one day. I have written other stories and poetry, and I write for a publisher of legal reference works. I am so grateful to Lawrence and Rob for creating SirBacon.org, and to all the others involved with this project. SirBacon.org is such a fantastic research tool!  I couldn't have written my book without it. My website is Christinagwaldman.com.

Edited by Christie Waldman
I made a mistake! Andrews made Bacon "amicus curiae" or friend of the court, not Chancellor, in his version of Act IV, Scene 1. Also I added page numbers to Andrews' book and the link to Andrews' book on archive.org.
  • Like 1

Welcome Christina! I was hoping you'd join. 🙂

Allow me to post the URL to your website so that it is a link (just need to paste a full URL😞

https://ChristinaGWaldman.com

I'll also add your page on SirBacon.org since you are a "Featured Contributor":

https://sirbacon.org/christina-waldman/

Also, thank you Christina for being an incredible proof-reader over the past few years letting me know my typos and punctuation booboos. 🙂

Hope we hear from you often. Please feel free to share your works and knowledge here!

Thanks so much, Rob! I've been so excited about all this "buzz" about Bacon, I couldn't sleep!  To be sure, I make my share of typos and mistakes, and appreciate the value of having a "second reader." What you've done with this website is outstanding! Stupendous! We're ever so grateful to you for creating this welcoming space.

• Like 2

Thanks so much, Rob! I've been so excited about all this "buzz" about Bacon, I couldn't sleep!

Myself as well. It's not uncommon that I wake up at night, roll over and check my email on my phone for website emergencies that is common in my techy world. But last night night waking up to see the latest activity on this forum every couple hours or so was a bit much for my wife who would give me a slight punch in the arm letting me know I was waking her up! LOL

Imagine a year or two from now, when we may have hundreds of members all passionate about Bacon!!

We'll have to force ourselves to get some sleep. 😉

• Like 1