Jump to content

First Folio


Kate

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, RoyalCraftiness said:

I might as well add that the triangle that is made atop the letter A (taken as a pyramid symbol?) in that image sits on the 30 degree inclination line.  If one uses that as a celestial declination suggestion then the one can suggest that the figure of the bow man is mirroring the constellation of Sagittarius at that declination (the bow man).  Also of note is that this inclination is the heading of the Great Circle I refer to. 30.1 degrees North of East, more precisely. 30 degrees is also the traditional depiction of tilt of the Northern Cross in Cygnus. It is more interesting that the top of that A is on the GC line WHILE being in the center of this image in a square that contains a land triangle containing a location that will be used by future Freemasons as a symbolic place.  One has to almost ask: why Washington in that place? Was it a situation where they had it in their minds that it would have to be that place because of some prior appreciation of a bunch of coincidences? It would appear so. It does not look to me like people are trying to fit Washington into a narrative after the fact. It seems to have come out of appreciated alignments to begin with. Chicken and egg problem, I guess.

And then there are those 27 crosses scattered about. Their placement might very deliberate.

  • Like 1

T A A A A A A A A A A A T
157     www.Light-of-Truth.com     287
<-- 1 8 8 1 1
O 1 1 8 8 1 -->

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Light-of-Truth said:

And then there are those 27 crosses scattered about. Their placement might very deliberate.

There's an idea that it was the limit of what territory Smith had explored by foot. Some of those are placed  at the end of small rivers. That seems to make sense because when you move outside of the edge of the area where they are concentrated the places names are much scarcer.  The number 27 wants to make us think it has potential meaning. Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't.  The Maltese cross is a symbol in its own right. Malta was another place, like Rhodes, where the Knights Hospitalier had a stronghold to protect the voyages to the Holy Land. It's their symbol. Smith had been a pirate in the Mediterranean and would have understood all this Christian symbolism. The Knights Hospitalier did eventually fade away into piracy in the 17th century, and they did also become a colonizing force in the New World to a very small degree. I don't dare comb through that map looking for 27 crosses.

The Maltese cross is a grouping of four Vees. The depiction in the top left corner shows two arms forming two Vees. That could be imagined to be V V for Veritas Vincint, which means Truth Conquers. This was a common Christian attitude towards dealing with the natives.

Edited by RoyalCraftiness
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, RoyalCraftiness said:

There's an idea that it was the limit of what territory Smith had explored by foot. Some of those are placed  at the end of small rivers. That seems to make sense because when you move outside of the edge of the area where they are concentrated the places names are much scarcer.  The number 27 wants to make us think it has potential meaning. Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't.  The Maltese cross is a symbol in its own right. Malta was another place, like Rhodes, where the Knights Hospitalier had a stronghold to protect the voyages to the Holy Land. It's their symbol. Smith had been a pirate in the Mediterranean and would have understood all this Christian symbolism. The Knights Hospitalier did eventually fade away into piracy in the 17th century, and they did also become a colonizing force in the New World to a very small degree. I don't dare comb through that map looking for 27 crosses.

The Maltese cross is a grouping of four Vees. The depiction in the top left corner shows two arms forming two Vees. That could be imagined to be V V for Veritas Vincint, which means Truth Conquers. This was a common Christian attitude towards dealing with the natives.

For what its worth, the blue dots are places where the 27 crosses appear.

image.png.f20fe4cda279ea7ac9ab2bdd895e8b65.png

  • Like 1

T A A A A A A A A A A A T
157     www.Light-of-Truth.com     287
<-- 1 8 8 1 1
O 1 1 8 8 1 -->

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Light-of-Truth said:

For what its worth, the blue dots are places where the 27 crosses appear.

image.png.f20fe4cda279ea7ac9ab2bdd895e8b65.png

That certainly looks like it's forming a boundary. The one on the Compass Rose is to signal East (Jerusalem). We could imagine that Smith thought he was claiming the region within the crosses for God, Christendom and the King.

Edited by RoyalCraftiness
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Light-of-Truth said:

For what its worth, the blue dots are places where the 27 crosses appear.

image.png.f20fe4cda279ea7ac9ab2bdd895e8b65.png

I got around to considering the points. Something that I considered is how likely the crosses were actually reflecting where any would have been on the ground. It seems almost impossible that enough precision would have been capable in locating one's self on the ground for later mapping out. This means that whoever drew this map is free to place crosses about where he wants them. This would mean that one could, if he wanted, use them for any other purpose.

Upon consideration, I quickly noted that some are at least aligned vertically.  This  could mean that some of these points where aligned on some other heading. Points a, b, c are perfectly aligned. This may not be statistically significant. Points k, j, g are too. They are also vertical which makes them a bit more significant. Where I start to draw the line on intent is when I see perfect alignment with h, g, i and the right hand arm of the V. This I find as suspicious as the diagonal line through the square that projects to the left leg of the A. 

With that in mind I considered alignments that would have more than 2 or 3 point since their statistical significance would increase. It's not exactly clear where one should draw the line, so to speak, in the best fit of near alignments. There appears to be a definite right hand, left hand and bottom alignment of points. I've drawn what I consider to a be minimum amount of lines that account for all points given. Of note is that there are parallels which may speak to intent.

spacer.png

This ends up producing an isosceles triangle of angles approximately 70, 55, 55 degrees. The bottom line can be made to go through the compass top at I1 which we previously noted is defining the line which is the side of the square that projects to the edge of the coat of arms above (and to the G).

A very interesting alignment is potentially d, e , f which projects to what I have called C1. This is the mid point of the string on the bow which has end points at A1, B1. This point is shared by the line forming the top of the square, so it is of higher coincidence. Also of note is that C1 can be aligned with F to capture two more cross locations and define the point K1.

K1 is of interest to me because it is on an alignment that gives point U which gives a 80 and 60 degree angle pair. This means that there is a 40 degree angle at the other corner. This is the familiar Summer Cross asterism geometry suggestion.

Regarding the bow man, he can be seen as Sagittarius (the archer) as point C1 gives his declination. The constellation is a neighbor to Aquila which contains one point of the Summer triangle (the star Altair), so you can find it that way. The most Northerly latitude at which it is entirely seen in the sky is +40 degrees, so the placement of the bow man in the image is correct at the latitude shown by the chart. If you were to have walked yourself to that latitude you would see Sagittarius just at the horizon only once a day, and therefore also Aquila which is it's neighbor. The declination +40 is also that of Cygnus. This may or may not be why the center of the square in the image falls upon a spot called Swan's Point.

It seems to me that the chart/map contains a celestial location component which again exploits 40 degrees, as so many of the Christianized narratives relating to time and place do. This we can trace back all the way to the early Christian era where  Cygnus was the Cross of crucifixion in the sky. It guided all ships in the Northern hemisphere. Remember death.

 

 

Edited by RoyalCraftiness
  • Wow! 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, RoyalCraftiness said:

This ends up producing an isosceles triangle of angles approximately 70, 55, 55 degrees. The bottom line can be made to go through the compass top at I1 which we previously noted is defining the line which is the side of the square that projects to the edge of the coat of arms above (and to the G).

Sorry to ask, but I am still totally jabber-wonky about Smith's map being sideways. Call me crazy, but the "A" in a pyramid (with NO crosses in that triangle) and what you see appears to be important.

What if the same map was rotated (90 degrees or so) and North was at the top? Does that break or enhance Smith and his agenda, which is the plan for Dee's empire. Bacon added a more flexible and perfect roadmap. I believe I have read that Capt. John Smith and Francis Bacon knew each other and have at least been in the same dialog and room together at some point.

  • Like 1

T A A A A A A A A A A A T
157     www.Light-of-Truth.com     287
<-- 1 8 8 1 1
O 1 1 8 8 1 -->

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Light-of-Truth said:

Sorry to ask, but I am still totally jabber-wonky about Smith's map being sideways. Call me crazy, but the "A" in a pyramid (with NO crosses in that triangle) and what you see appears to be important.

What if the same map was rotated (90 degrees or so) and North was at the top? Does that break or enhance Smith and his agenda, which is the plan for Dee's empire. Bacon added a more flexible and perfect roadmap. I believe I have read that Capt. John Smith and Francis Bacon knew each other and have at least been in the same dialog and room together at some point.

It's not common. I can't say I've seen another, but I haven't always looked closely at maps. The other map of New England we've looked at is obviously oriented with N pointing up. That one made the non geographic elements on the chart take on certain placements that are then used to show us interesting relationships to basically just coastal points.

This may have everything to do with what was desired to be portrayed around the map and for its eye appeal. Prominent banner on top and Compass Rose in water, for example. The placement of the other design elements in the image may have been as important to the maker, and it may have worked better to have the area of interest between the Potomac and Chesapeake Bay appear like the opened compass beneath it for it to "jump out".

Once you see that triangle it is difficult to not see it. As far as composition goes, you always want the most important part of the image to catch the eye somehow. It may be that a few methods were employed to draw attention to this area. In my opinion, and that is just my opinion, the Potomac river is exaggerated to suggest more of a triangle shape than what I suspect was and is there. 

A trick in composition is to sometime have the area of interest stand out from negative spatial considerations. As you mention, the absence of crosses there in an enclosed area is an invitation to consider it to be different or set apart from all that is outside of it. This can be understood to be lands that are now English as opposed to "savage".

Perhaps the maker wanted the archer opposite the Compass Rose and to have the scale of leagues contributing vertical elements and a relationship to the image on the top left.  The square I show is another passive visual "trick" to draw you to the area in question. It was not unheard of for images to be planned this way. Art that does this was considered to be great art. Today we do not put as much emphasis on symbolic composition as there was at that time. This was at the height of the age of using "sacred geometry" in compositions.  The artists that used these techniques were taking from the same bag of tricks quite often. These maps are as much art as they are maps, imo. They were well designed.

It is true that there are things which one could be forgiven for thinking of as having obvious ties to Freemasonry, but we have to be careful to consider that Freemasonry itself went and gathered from what already existed as symbols. To plan an image this way is not necessarily showing Masonic influence yet. This sort of planning may have inspired later Freemasons.  I know very little about how Washington D.C. came to be chosen as the seat of the government of the nation. Was it intended to be that place from much earlier times? I'll have to read about it.

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Light-of-Truth said:

Seems very odd to me. West at up makes me curious. Why? Nobody else was doing it, really.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/why-early-virginia-maps-had-west-at-the-top

image.png.9ad35ace02029624455f97f64374d1aa.png

 

That map is odd. It seems to have copied the Compass Rose orientation on Smith's map while displaying the Potomac and Chesapeake Bay correctly heading North up the page. If there was no conventions then maybe there was no knowledge that the fleur-de-Lys was intended to identify the North Cardinal point. What we see and what we are told are at odds in that image. Smith's Chesapeake Bay goes N-S in his map, albeit sideways. Here it is shown going E-W if you rely on the devices (which is wrong). It is said that for about 100 years almost all maps of the area relied on the details of Smith's map which is very good for the time.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Light-of-Truth said:

Seems very odd to me. West at up makes me curious. Why? Nobody else was doing it, really.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/why-early-virginia-maps-had-west-at-the-top

image.png.9ad35ace02029624455f97f64374d1aa.png

 

Based on what the prof. says, we can conclude that Smith knew something about a convention of using a fleur-de-Lys to indicate N and not so much about any that would require N to be up the page. Why he chose to portray the map that way speaks to a preference, probably a visual one. He wrote in "Chesapeake Bay" in big bold characters in the body of water. It is easier to read from West to East on the page because that is how we write. That would force N to point E for the reader to quickly identify the major body of water by reading without having to twist himself to read up the page. There is also the fact that the triangle in question is symmetrical and that the equal base angles benefit from being on a horizontal line. That makes the 90 degree top angle point directly up the page which he has neatly shown going through the A in the middle of the page. It is as if he clearly intended the region between the three rivers to have the best possible visible orientation. Was he signaling an A? Are an A and a V in the banner being signaled by the alignments within the page? There are symbolic reasons why this might have been done. A is alpha, and it is the first (or the beginning). A and V are many possible things. It could be seen by Shakespearean buffs as Venus and Adonis which is also a first. It could be a visual representation of oriented triangles within the Vesica Piscis where we encounter the idea of the birth of something...If is the latter then the center of the square at Swan's point could have a meaning related to the appearance of the Nova of 1600 which was believe to foretell a Great New Age by some who were also in the exploration and colonization business.

If you like pursuing the A-A idea there is the fact that an A was added to the Latinized name of the native tribe there to form the word Anacostia for the river on which Washington will later be founded. This is true of Alexandria, home of Euclid, which is on both ends of the Great Circle that appears to have mattered to Bacon and company (who were guiding themselves around using Great Circles and planar geometry on Mercator map projections). I did notice that Annapolis (first Capital of Maryland) is a name shared by the place in Nova Scotia where Freemasonry originated. This was to mean "Queen Anne's city". The Fortification at Annapolis, NS, is called Fort Anne. Smith's time predates Queen Anne's. It's unclear to me if Anacostia was an attempt at suggesting Anne.

Edited by RoyalCraftiness
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/9/2023 at 5:47 PM, RoyalCraftiness said:

It seems to me that the chart/map contains a celestial location component which again exploits 40 degrees, as so many of the Christianized narratives relating to time and place do.

The truth lies in the details. 😊 

https://encyclopediavirginia.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/744hpr_24d5af2b9837969-scaled.jpg

image.png.bfff160a8b1265ac4796ae19fe54cbec.png

  • Wow! 1

image.png.b8c74f56d5551c745119c268cf9d3db8.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Allisnum2er said:

I had to laugh out loud with the backward 40 and this:

Signification of these markes ,
To the crosses hath bin discouered-
what beyond is by relation

Remember the 1693 is not the year, but is some kind of page number.

  • Haha 1

T A A A A A A A A A A A T
157     www.Light-of-Truth.com     287
<-- 1 8 8 1 1
O 1 1 8 8 1 -->

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of the 27 markers intrigued me, because he was not at the end of a river.

This is the marker of Burtons Mount.

It reminded me Robert Burton who in 1621 published The Anatomy of Melancholy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Burton

The Anatomy of Melancholy was published under the pseudonym "Democritus Junior".

image.png.694d2e0b86904a7ebe98b76f6abe1f90.png

https://encyclopediavirginia.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/744hpr_24d5af2b9837969-scaled.jpg

As if by chance, right above Burtons Mount, we have Democrites tree.

Noticing the vertical alignement of the two markers and Democrites tree I decided to extend the line.

Here is the result and some ideas  ...

image.png.64acf91e7d4b98270716cbed1228c850.png

The line points to the capital letter C of Captain and the ON of HONI, and crosses the word "BAY".

BA(Y)CON

 

  • Wow! 2

image.png.b8c74f56d5551c745119c268cf9d3db8.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Allisnum2er said:

You mean 31 with the one of the compass and the one of the legend ! 😉 

I was counting the compass cross as one to get to 27, but then I looked and I had missed one, so yes with the compass, legend, and two in the crown we have 31.

image.png.6cac477e28e15965f3c23403b283e1cc.png

That leads me to wonder if there are two more. Maybe hidden in the map layout design, like big crosses. 😉

 

T A A A A A A A A A A A T
157     www.Light-of-Truth.com     287
<-- 1 8 8 1 1
O 1 1 8 8 1 -->

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Allisnum2er said:

You mean 31 with the one of the compass and the one of the legend ! 😉 

Edit :

image.png.c4b7c0f059f0de2c89f81d55cd1b4196.png

And could it be the two missing crosses (on the left) that lead to 33 crosses in total ?

You must have been reading my mind. LOL

 

  • Haha 1

T A A A A A A A A A A A T
157     www.Light-of-Truth.com     287
<-- 1 8 8 1 1
O 1 1 8 8 1 -->

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Light-of-Truth said:

Oops, now we have 29 crosses?? Two that have always been missed?

image.png.3f23d6b6db252aeed16804c5a06f217f.png

image.png.982474b80ae84534bfa08f4317009fef.png

Rob, we both have missed the crosses on each side of the Crown.

To resume we have :

27 markers on the map

+ 1 marker on the legend

+ 1 cross on the compass

+ 4 crosses on the crown

for a total of 33 crosses. 🙂 

  • Thanks 1

image.png.b8c74f56d5551c745119c268cf9d3db8.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Allisnum2er said:

image.png.982474b80ae84534bfa08f4317009fef.png

Rob, we both have missed the crosses on each side of the Crown.

To resume we have :

27 markers on the map

+ 1 marker on the legend

+ 1 cross on the compass

+ 4 crosses on the crown

for a total of 33 crosses. 🙂 

I was just about to mention those two. LOL

Was also reading about Shackaconia.

http://www.virginiaplaces.org/nativeamerican/manahoac.html

And I can show where Washington DC is now by finding Nameroughquena which is where Arlington is today across the river from DC at the bend of the river.

image.png.247fbf256ba45742d3c532797b94e783.png

image.png.92a23efb82903def89915920f479e7bc.png

  • Wow! 2

T A A A A A A A A A A A T
157     www.Light-of-Truth.com     287
<-- 1 8 8 1 1
O 1 1 8 8 1 -->

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Light-of-Truth said:

I was just about to mention those two. LOL

Was also reading about Shackaconia.

http://www.virginiaplaces.org/nativeamerican/manahoac.html

And I can show where Washington DC is now by finding Nameroughquena which is where Arlington is today across the river from DC at the bend of the river.

image.png.247fbf256ba45742d3c532797b94e783.png

image.png.92a23efb82903def89915920f479e7bc.png

Latitude for this point on the map doesn't match the Google Earth coordinates. Washington is at 38.91N. Looking around at some of the other landmarks we can see that the mouth of the rivers are all off too. The latitudes are off by approximately 0.3 degrees. That makes the bend you show very close to 39N (as it should).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Light-of-Truth said:

I had to laugh out loud with the backward 40 and this:

Signification of these markes ,
To the crosses hath bin discouered-
what beyond is by relation

Remember the 1693 is not the year, but is some kind of page number.

That's one way to draw attention to 40.

"What (is) beyond is by relation" would mean you need to consider the relationship of the crosses. Pretty much what the exercise here has been about. This must have confused many readers over the years.

Edited by RoyalCraftiness
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Allisnum2er said:

image.png.982474b80ae84534bfa08f4317009fef.png

Rob, we both have missed the crosses on each side of the Crown.

To resume we have :

27 markers on the map

+ 1 marker on the legend

+ 1 cross on the compass

+ 4 crosses on the crown

for a total of 33 crosses. 🙂 

Try drawing a line from the cross on the legend to the one on the compass. 

spacer.png

  • Wow! 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...