Morgan Colman Manuscript, 1592

Posted (edited)

Genealogies of the kings of England

The title of this beautiful and amazing work digitized by the Yale University Library is "Genealogies of the kings of England."

https://collections.library.yale.edu/catalog/11690530

Creator: Colman, Morgan
Published / Created: 1592

Abstract:

Autograph manuscript, signed, of a highly decorated and illustrated genealogy of the rulers of England from Egbert of Wessex to Queen Elizabeth I. The genealogical trees are illustrated with coats of arms, in full color, as well as marriage symbols and other decorations. Pages 13-14 and 33-34 are parchment rather than paper and contain an abbreviated and stylized family tree for Elizabeth I; color illustrations of an angelic figure with a trumpet and an armored knight; and a full-color chart with the white and red roses of York and Lancaster as the central roundel containing the name of Elizabeth I. The charts are followed by "Briefe observations of the disposition, of everie severall kynge of England from William the Conqueror untill this present 1592." The text concludes with Colman's monogram in red ink. The volume concludes with a full-color illustration of the coat of arms of Sir Francis Bacon.

According to the description this copy was originally owned by Sir Francis Bacon.

Binding: eighteenth-century half russia, gilt.
Bookplate: Sir John Saunders Seabright.
Decoration: numerous illustrations of coats of arms and other genealogical decorations. Full-page, full-color illustrations on pages 13-14 and page 34.
Formerly owned by Sir Francis Bacon; H. Crofts; Sir John Saunders Sebright; Captain Allan Spowers. Purchased from Christie's (Christie's London sale, 2013 November 20, lot 57) on the James Marshall and Marie-Louise Osborn Fund, 2013.
Ownership inscription on front flyleaf: H. Crofts.
Script: English secretary script.
Title from spine.

The Coat of Arms lead up to Queen Elizabeth on page 33:

image.png.74f54c8aecd82b3d98303291b8bb8834.png

Then on page 44 begins "A Briefe Observatio" and page 45 starts with "William the First":

image.png.8590ad7fa5a9498ff1a7614c203a0ec1.png

Queen Elizabeth is on page 62 at the end of the "Observatio":

image.png.7e807a59eda95d4c5be9aeab6bdfc69c.png

Then there are four blank pages and on page 67 is the Bacon Coat of Arms as the final image in the manuscript.

image.png.b9b1a058d336f61b86565c49530f0ef4.png

The digitized version shows 74 pages in all, with a few flyleaf pages:

image.png.fa7456c7349be4f29fe7c6519215b508.png

I'll submit this for now and add some comments later.

Edited by Light-of-Truth
  • Like 2

T A A A A A A A A A A A T
157     www.Light-of-Truth.com     287
<-- 1 8 8 1 1
O 1 1 8 8 1 -->

I am very excited to have found this. The idea that we are looking at this in GREAT detail and it is the exact same copy that Bacon owned is even more exciting. I wondered sadly that I may never lay eyes on it, but here it is in all its glory to study and share!

William the First > Elizabeth > Bacon.

Amazing!

• Like 2

<-- 1 8 8 1 1
O 1 1 8 8 1 -->

In 1592 Morgan Colman creates this beautiful hand-made manuscript, possibly for Bacon. It is the Genealogies of the Kings of England. It takes the history up to Queen Elizabeth. The pages with the Coats of Arms stops with Elizabeth on page 33. 33 is Simple cipher for BACON.

There are no other Coats of Arms until page 67 that has the Bacon Coat of Arms. 67 is Simple cipher for FRANCIS.  Bacon's Coat of Arms is the last one in the book. But he was not a King in 1592. Why is the Bacon Coat of Arms included. And on page 67?

There are 74 pages altogether, even though the last 7 are blank. 74 is Simple cipher for TUDOR and also WILLIAM.

On page 33 with Elizabeth and her Coat of Arms the line goes to a blank banner.

image.png.69737d2931b2748564accefc2a18ec13.png
https://collections.library.yale.edu/catalog/11690530

The only other banner I notice is the one on page 67 with the Bacon Coat of Arms.

image.png.e4c1c16c4caedcb52d273ceaaf22d597.png

Yale University Library states this manuscript was first owned by Francis Bacon. This was his manuscript given to him by Morgan Colman.

I wonder how many times Bacon wanted to write his name on the blank banner on page 33!

The Short cipher of MEDIOCRIA FIRMA is 74, the number of pages in this manuscript and the Simple cipher of TUDOR and WILLIAM.

Not only does this manuscript from 1592 hint that Bacon is next in line to being King of England, it is an early example where his cipher numbers appear to be deliberately used; 33 and 67, and possibly 74 as well.

I can't get over the fact that Bacon owned this and certainly studied it. Must have come in handy when writing some of the Shakespeare works. 🙂

• Like 3

<-- 1 8 8 1 1
O 1 1 8 8 1 -->