The Temple of the Rosy Cross

 

Fama Fraternitatis, or a Discovery of the Fraternity of the Most Noble Order of the Rosy Cross translated from German by Thomas Vaughan in 1652

 

In describing this strange figure, now published for the first time{1618} in more than three hundred years, Schweighardt reminds the truth seekers that the Temple and its mystical brethren are ever near unto the wise man, who discovers them only by perceiving inwardly the mysteries of the spirit. The Temple is on wheels to signify that it can go to any place, and it is suspended from Heaven by a rope because it is moved by the Will of God. The rose is over one of it's windows and the cross is over the other.

It is useful to summarize Schweighardt's description of the House of the Holy Spirit. Theophilus assures the reader of the entire sincerity and Christian kindliness which inspired him to the publication of a true and trustworthy account of the Collegium Fraternitatus. He explains that strangers have come from all parts of the world to Leipzig and Frankfurt, and other cities, begging, from booksellers, engravers, and the directors of museums, information regarding the true abode of the Rosicrucians. To gratify the desires of sincere and honest men, he Theophilus Schweighardt, has decided clearly, simply, plainly, and without equivocation to present, depict, represent, explain, and describe the abode of the Brothers of the Rosy Cross. With this preamble, the author then proceeds to explain that the College of the Fraternity is no place but is everywhere; that all men have seen it but have not recognized it; and that it is to be truly discovered only by those of pure heart and upright life, who have meditated deeply upon the mysteries of God and Spirit.

In the upper left corner of the Schweighardt plate is a star in the midst of whose rays stands a man holding a serpent. Opposite to this in the upper right hand corner is another star whose rays enclose the figure of a swan. These symbols are described in the Confessio Fraternitatis:

"Yea, the Lord God hath already sent before certain Messengers, which should testify his Will, to wit, some new Stars which do appear and are seen in the Firmament in Serpentario and Cygno, which signifie and give themselves known to every one, that they are powerful Signacula of great weighty matters."

The context infers that these new stars heralded the birth of the Rosicrucian Society , or, at least, its rebirth in 1604 at the time of the opening of Father C.R.C's tomb. In all probability, 1604 is the true date of the founding of the Rosicrucian Brotherhood, the earlier dates being entirely symbolical. A parallel is found in the masonic allegory of Hiram Abiff by which a symbolical antiquity is bestowed upon Freemasonry, whereas the society itself actually came into existence about the same time as the Rosicrucian Society.

Schweighardt succeeds far better than Robert Fludd {Tractatis Apologetica} in escaping the predicament of being unable or unwilling actually to ascribe a physical location to the Rosicrucian Temple. The inference is Masonic-- the Rosicrucian Temple is the universe, its adepts are the wise men of all ages, its disciplines, those who practice the virtues. Life is, therefore, the School of the Holy Ghost. All sincere truth seekers are searching for the House of Universal Wisdom, and those who discover the true meaning of the "great work" become pillars of the Everlasting House and "go no more out."

SUB UMBRA ALARUM TUARUM JEHOVA

(Under the shadow of thy wings, Jehova)

Read:The Rosicrucian Movement by Frances Yates

Read the Roscicrucian Manifestos: The Fame &
Confession of the Fraternity
translated from German by Thomas Vaughan 1652

 

******

 

 

 

 

 

 


FastCounter by LinkExchange